OCEAN FOREST COUNTRY CLUB/
PINE LAKES INTERNATIONAL COUNTRY CLUB
5603 Woodside Ave.
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Website: Pine Lakes Country Club
This is the first golf course in Myrtle Beach- built in 1927 by the Woodside
brothers as the 2nd phase of their ambitious but failed "Arcady" project.
Originally, it was the direct companion to the Ocean Forest Hotel, on the ocean
about 1/2 mile away. This course is just off Hwy 17 at 56th Avenue, and is known
as the "The Granddaddy" because it is the oldest and most famous, historic
course in the area. In 1996, the course and clubhouse were added to the
National Register of Historic Places; it is the only South Carolina golf
course in that list.
A 27-hole course was designed by Robert White, a St. Andrews, Scotland native
and the first president of the PGA of America, and co-founder of the American
Society of Golf Course Architects. The club continues the Scottish the
original Scottish traditions and feel, with tartan kilt-clad assistants.
The Woodside Brothers' grand plan was halted by the Great Depression; they
lost the hotel and golf course, and the course was taken over by Myrtle
Beach Farms (now Burroughs & Chapin)- at which time its name was changed.
The present 18-hole course dates back to 1946, when a new owner- Fred Miles,
sold 18 of the 27 holes for real estate development; the 9 that were left
were redesigned, and 9 more were added.
Sports Illustrated magazine originated here- in the early 1950s, a group of
67 Time-Life, Inc. executive, including Henry Booth Luce, came to Myrtle
Beach by train to play this course and plan the magazine- which appeared
The course was closed in November 2006 for renovations, and is scheduled to
re-open in March 2009. This includes many changes to bring the course back
to the style of the original configuration. Changes made by Craig Schreiner,
golf course restoration architect, includes building two new holes in the
wetlands, and converting the old holes 17 and 18 into a new Pine Lakes
entrance along Grissom Parkway. The original 9-hole course remains as holes
10-18. The greens and bunkers have been enlarged to their original size
This course is owned by Burroughs and Chapin, who own a number of other area
courses and resorts.